It probably should have been fair warning when I told my 15- and 16-year-old daughters that I was thinking about doing a one-month Chloe Ting workout plan and they backed away with an odd combination of mirth and horror in their eyes. Teenagers will keep you humble. My 15-year-old said, “Are you sure you want to start this on a Sunday? Isn't Sunday supposed to be a day of rest? There is nothing restful about Chloe Ting.”
But yes, I've learned that the only way to handle a challenge is to start it as soon as possible. Don't wait for the first of the month… absolutely don't wait for the start of the year! It reminds me of the old Chinese proverb:
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
So, I've added Chloe Ting's Slim Thigh Challenge to my daily routine for 25 days. Clearly, I have a death wish. (Side note, so does my cat. He thinks that when mom is on the floor doing exercise he needs to sit with his butt in my face. Nice, Figaro, nice.) The other side benefit of starting on a Sunday, I don't have any weight-lifting scheduled today, so it minimizes what I'm trying to accomplish.
You can find all of Chloe's workout programs on her website with handy links to her videos. I'm very grateful for her putting her workout programs out for free on YouTube. I will link to just the day's videos I'm using each day for anyone who wants to torture themselves alongside me. If you want to try a different program or want to see the complete plan, just go to her site for more.
So, here's today's set of videos:
I chose the Slim Thigh Challenge because my legs are the strongest part of my body. Now, that may seem counterproductive. I should probably choose where I'm weakest… but I really don't want to die doing this challenge! If the major focus of this challenge is on my legs, I have a halfway decent chance of survival.
As expected, I made it through the first video without too many problems. Was it easy? No. But I could do at least some version of the pretty much all the moves, which is a major bonus. After my daughters' reactions, I felt somewhat proud of myself for surviving my first Chloe Ting video with no major problems.
And then it came time for the abs workout…. and THIS is where Chloe Ting was clearly attempting to murder me. Abs, it seems, stands for abdominal muscles… those things you're supposed to have on the center front of your body just above your hips. I have given birth eight times over the past twenty-eight years. I have no abs, as far as I can tell, which made this workout incredibly difficult. Curse words were said….. many, many curse words. I was very glad I had banished all of my progeny to the basement to go watch movies.
I finished off with the cooldown stretch. Stretches pose their own unique challenges. Since the girls and I have Ehler-Danlos Syndrome, I have to be careful with how far I go with my stretches. Age, lack of practice, and way too much fat on my body has provided some natural limitations on my stretching, which is a good thing. I still have to be careful that I don't dislocate anything in the process. I survived the stretching. I will definitely be heading to bed soon. I hope I can move tomorrow!
Today's Daily Routine
- Sunday – Weight: -4.6 pounds this week; -7.6 pounds total; 4.4 pounds to next 5% goal
- Steps: 15,184
- Weights: Rest day
- Chloe Ting: Slim Thighs Challenge Workout Day 1
- Thyroid medications: taken
- Supplements: taken
- Intermittent Fasting: eighteen hours
- Zero Carb Goal: Definitely not zero carb at dinner. Matt made salmon patties, and he uses regular saltines in them. I don't have a definite carb count on his recipe, but I'm going to estimate that I still kept it under 30 grams of carbs. I was pretty much zero carb until dinner, just my cacao drink (about 1.5 grams of carbs), a hard-boiled egg, and a rasher of bacon.
- Yesterday I did a huge overhaul of the boys' room. Matt helped me by putting together a shelving unit. I went through the boys' clothes and pulled out everything that was too small and took it to a friend's house. Today I just made sure they made their beds and didn't let them trash anything I accomplished yesterday. Habits need time to form!
I'm exhausted and off to bed. I hope you all had a blessed day… see you tomorrow!